Thread: Error submitting HTML5 shiv code

Post Error submitting HTML5 shiv code

Good morning all!

I have recently been trying various advertising campaigns with Linkbucks and I am pleased with the results.

To try and take some of the stress off my low powered server I though that I would use HTML directly.

Screenshot from 2016-02-09 11:34:52.jpg

Unfortunately I've been receiving an "unknown" error:

Screenshot from 2016-02-09 11:06:42.jpg

I finally tracked it down to this code:

Code:
    <!--[if lt IE 9]>
          <script src="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/html5shiv/3.7.3/html5shiv.min.js" type='application/javascript'></script>
    <![endif]-->
    Some may recognise this, some may not. This tells versions of Internet Explorer older than 9 how to correctly render HTML5 code.

Assuming that there are very few users still using such old, rubbish software I have removed it and the submission went through correctly. Those users do still exist though, which is a small worry.

I couldn't find a guide to submitting HTML in this way. Is there one? Is scripting the problem? Are comments the problem?
    Last edited by KenSharp; 02-17-2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Typo

No such guide in the forums for sure. And I'm unsure about the problem, support team is the option.

Sent message to support. Yup: it has taken me this long to get around to it. I forgot to include a link to this forum. Oopsie. Hopefully I included enough detail anyway.

Exclamation

Chaps, you need to hire someone who can actually offer real support.

Despite me clearly showing everyone here what the cause of the problem is, whoever you have answering the support e-mails does not understand.

Remember: I have already found the cause of the issue, and my code is validated correctly with the W3C Validator. This is another way of saying it is correct and to argue otherwise proves that you really don't know what you're talking about.

The incorrect claim from your "support" is that the problem is caused by the <body> tag being missing. The <body> tag is optional under the correct circumstances and has been for nearly a decade, something the validator correctly identifies. Not only that - your system correctly accepts code with the <body> tag missing because I have already done it several times.

And to seal the deal for just how clueless the guy is:

Screenshot from 2016-03-24 07:50:11.jpg

That shows the entirety of the e-mail from the source code.

So not only do you have someone who doesn't know the first thing about HTML, it doesn't know the first thing about how e-mail works.

This is really embarrassing. Unless you can provide someone who can understand what people are telling them, I won't be helping you with any further errors. It's your problem, not mine.

P.S. None of the other errors I have reported have even received an acknowledgement, so I simply won't be using the broken code.