Thread: What is going on?

Default What is going on?

I started seeing Linkbucks ads when I click a link on a given website, none of which are affiliated with linkbucks. (forums and such)

One given link led me to a youtube video of which I had seen before (on a new tab), but thats not really the problem, such was my intention to view that video. But these ads came today out of nowhere.

The problem is that a linkbucks ad appeared on said page. Lo and behold, it was advertising explicit... adult content. This will not do. I have not visited this site ever, so why are linkbucks ads appearing all of a sudden? And how can I disable them? I share this PC with family members, so such ads are not tolerated.

Please help.

Im assuming the ads you saw were linkbuck links POSTED BY OTHER USERS on their own forum, blog, website, etc. If this is the case, there is nothing you can do, because they decided to use linkbucks and show their ads. If it is 18+ or minus is not up to you but them. Sorry if i misunderstood, this is how i see it. Your only option is to go somewhere else then.

Noone within my forum uses linkbucks. Ive been there for 2 years, and this has never happened. The thing is, the forum post (my post actually) was merely a youtube link. Upon opening the link in a new tab, the questionable ad appeared without warning.

The ads dont appear on the forum itself, just the links.

plz share some url as example.

Example?

Its a link to the forum post with a youtube link.

And if I cant get rid of the ads altogether, how can I hide or disable explicit ones?
    Last edited by 1984a; 07-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Problem resolved. SOMEONE hacked a mod's account (kinda) and inserted linkbucks business into the forum.

The ads are gone now, but riddle me this; who couldve done this? Any ideas? Any trolls round here?

Quote Originally Posted by 1984a View Post
    Problem resolved. SOMEONE hacked a mod's account (kinda) and inserted linkbucks business into the forum.

The ads are gone now, but riddle me this; who couldve done this? Any ideas? Any trolls round here?

Just make sure your forum software is up to date. Any script kiddie in the world could have done this if you use old (vulnerable) software. Not only that, if they're able to insert code onto your site, they could do a lot worse. It's definitely worth correcting. I run a forum and have had to deal with my share of attacks. Just keep your stuff updated and you'll be fine. If your forum software is up to date, maybe one of the staff members decided to make some money off the site, or perhaps he made it a bit too easy for someone to get access to his account. (leaving himself signed in... etc.)
    Last edited by jren; 07-16-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Well I say "hacked", but it turns out that a mod's password was just predicted. Said account was used to spam ads across the site.

No harm done, I suppose.