Thread: Best Time of Year to Travel to Australia and New Zealand

Default Best Time of Year to Travel to Australia and New Zealand

I'm beginning to plan a six week trip to Australia and New Zealand, spending approximately three weeks in each. My rough itinerary includes the areas around Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Cairns/Great Barrier Reef, and primarily the south island in NZ. I'm striving for as much moderate weather as possible in these far-flung areas, and had thought that possibly November-December would be the best compromise. But some friends have said NZ can be really cold then, and that I should go in February/March. But it sounds like that's not a good time for Australia, especially Cairns. Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions to settle my quandry. Thanks!

I live in melbourne. Well weather will really start heating up in australia by december, so it will be hot here and the sun is a lot stronger.. The temperature in nz is not as high but the sun is even stronger there,
    Quote Originally Posted by uazoDDiany View Post
    I'm beginning to plan a six week trip to Australia and New Zealand, spending approximately three weeks in each. My rough itirary includes the areas around Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Cairns/Great Barrier Reef, and primarily the south island in NZ. I'm striving for as much moderate weather as possible in these far-flung areas, and had thought that possibly November-December would be the best compromise. But some friends have said NZ can be really cold then, and that I should go in February/March. But it sounds like that's not a good time for Australia, especially Cairns. Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions to settle my quandry. Thanks!

We went to Australia & New Zealand 2 years ago Sept. 12 to Oct. 3, it was cool as it is their spring, Cairns was nice and warm, we enjoyed that, but NSW was cooler. The cruise on the Sydney Harbor was wonderful, we were up in the Blue Mountains, it was cold there. The Great Barrier Reef was nice and warm, I think it would be better to go in their summer, November or December, but a friend over there said at Christmas time it was hot, I could handle that.